Tuesday, August 5, 2008

the father connection by josh mcdowell

I was waiting for my wife to finish her visit to the maturnity store at our local mall when I saw a christian book store. Not wanting to watch pain dry on a slow and uneventful day at the mall I decided to browse. My wife was pregnant (but has now recently delivered our first child) so I took a look through the parenting section. I was unaware of the book store's employee standing behind me until I heard, "Everytime we get that book in it immediately fly's off the shelf." A little startled I turned around to see a lovely middle aged women with a beaming smile behind me. She then informed me, "it has done quite well since Dr. Dobson featured it on his show." I know many of you probably know who Dr. Dobson is but I don't. Still, I figured I would give it a shot. After all I havent' encountered a lot of christian books on fathering.

The premise of the book is fairly simple: Learn about fathering by having your heavenly father as the example. Josh McDowell does a phenominal job of not only teaching you how to be a better daddy, but he also helps bring to your attention the things (great and small) that your heavenly father does for you. He helps the reader take an honest look at their life without condemnation, and teaches the reader how to tap into God's awesome power, and then with Gods help you can have confidence in any situation. This book isn't so much a do and don't book as it's greatest strength is teaching you how good of a daddy God is and then encouraging you to mimic his example. Will we fail? You bet. But our God is bigger than our faults and can use our mistakes to teach our children to confess when their wrong. Not only that but I found that it helped build a stronger relationship between myself and my heavenly father which I know will translate into an even stronger relationship with my wife, and my newborn son.

It's good to note that there is a fantastic list of things a father can do with his children in the back. Great suggestions.

God Bless You...

No comments: